Bad smells in a trash can are entirely normal. The problem is when those foul odors start seeping into the kitchen and nearby areas. They can quickly ruin an otherwise delicious meal or disrupt family time in the living room!
Even worse, foul odors can linger in your bin and spread out, even after taking out the trash bag.
But, don’t worry! Here you’ll find a variety of tricks to get rid of those nasty trash can odors.
How to remove foul smells from your trash can
There are a ton of ways you can tackle your trash can odor problem, but these are some of the most effective. Try the one that fits your specific needs.
Natural fixes to keep trash smells at bay
As previously said, there are many ways to approach this issue. If you prefer natural methods, the following will be perfect. Better yet, you probably have most of these products in your house.
- Citrus zest: Citrus peels are pretty good for masking and neutralizing odors. Just toss some orange, lemon, or grapefruit peels into the bin before placing a new trash bag and let them do the work.
- Essential oils: Mix one cup of water, two tablespoons of rubbing alcohol, ½ cup of white vinegar, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Then, dampen some cotton balls and put them in a container at the bottom of the trash can.
- Baking soda: Use this method for stronger odors in outdoor or indoor cans. Spread a thin layer of baking soda at the bottom of your bin. Its odor-absorbent properties will eliminate the smells in less than a day.
Note: If you have a metal trash can, place the baking soda inside another container to avoid corrosion.
Other hacks to eliminate nasty trash can odors
Sometimes, artificial products can be more efficient than natural ones. Here are a couple of homeowner’s favorites:
- Cat litter: A non-expensive option and a practical one if you are a cat owner. Pour some litter onto the base of your trash can to absorb and eliminate lingering odors. You can also get scented litter for a fresher touch!
- Deodorizing bags: This is a great option as you won’t have to do anything more than placing the bag in your trash bin. Just be sure to get tear-resistant bags to avoid any issues.
Wash your trash can to eliminate odors
This technique works both for indoor and outdoor trash bins and is the best option if none of the other methods seem to work.
- Take the bin out of your house and find a properly-sized place to do the job.
- Pour warm water and a little dish soap into the can. Swish the solution around until forming suds.
- Next, grab a clean brush with a long handle and scrub all the inside and outside of the can using soapy water.
- Once you finish scrubbing, drain the dirty water and rinse thoroughly. To finish, dry your trash can with paper towels to prevent mold from growing.
We can help you keep bad odors away from your house!
Foul odors can spread across many other parts of the house for different reasons, but the smell doesn’t always come from trash cans! At Bright Touch Cleaning, we can clean your home thoroughly to avoid unwanted smells disrupting the mood in your home.